Preservation Achievement Awards

2013 Awards

131 Clarendon Street view project

131 Clarendon Street

234 Berkeley Street view project

234 Berkeley Street

951 Boylston Street view project

951 Boylston Street

Boston Common Men's Convenience Station/Earl of Sandwich view project

Boston Common
Men’s Convenience Station /
Earl of Sandwich

Brighton Mile Marker view project

Brighton Mile Marker

142 Harvard Avenue

Dorcas Window Restoration at Church of the Covenant view project

Dorcas Window Restoration at Church of the Covenant

67 Newbury Street

Harvard Medical School Gordon Hall Window Restoration view project

Harvard Medical School Gordon Hall Window Restoration

25 Shattuck Street


Hayden Building view project

Hayden Building

681 Washington Street

Hostelling International Boston view project

Hostelling International Boston

19 Stuart Street

Second Brazer Building view project

Second Brazer Building

27 State Street

>Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital view project

Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital

300 1st Avenue, Charlestown

St. Joseph - St. Lazarus Church view project

St. Joseph–St. Lazarus Church

59 Ashley Street, East Boston

Mayor Thomas M. Menino view project

Codman Award for Lifetime Achievement:
Mayor Thomas M. Menino



Photo courtesy of Peter Lewitt

131 Clarendon Street


Brookline Bank

Project Team:

AHA Consulting Engineers
Building Conservation Associates
Cavanaugh Tocci Associates, Inc.
Fuss & O'Neill EnviroScience, LLC
Epsilon Associates, Inc.
GEI Consultants, Inc.
John Moriarty & Associates, Inc.
Kalin Associates
KV Associates, Inc.
McNamara/Salvia, Inc.
Menders, Torrey, & Spencer, Inc.
Oak Consulting Group
R.W. Sullivan Code Group
Parsons Brinckerhoff

The building at 131 Clarendon Street is located in the proposed Park Square-Stuart Street National Register Historic District, an early-twentieth century neighborhood comprised of former brick stables and high style Classical Revival buildings. Designed by prolific architect George Nelson Meserve, the building was originally brick and cast stone with a copper modillion cornice. In 1936, a granite Art Deco entry was installed and it was given the name "Publishers Building." There were major modifications in the mid-eighties when the Hard Rock Café moved in, including the installation of fiberglass panels, a 2-story stucco appliqué, and a thick layer of popcorn-textured coating that covered significant architectural details.

Brookline Bank's rehabilitation of 131 Clarendon Street restored the original Classical Revival details of the building and in doing so, revitalized a prominent corner of the neighborhood. Many aspects of the renovation sought to replicate the original 1920's design, such as the original storefront window pattern that was restored based on archival photographs, and the window spandrels that were molded directly from the original metal panels. Other renovations complement the building's historical design, such as the installation of period-appropriate lanterns and the entryway addition of a polished granite surround. Because of its pronounced visibility, the building's condition greatly affects the environment around it, making these renovations extremely important to the community.

"It's hard to believe this is the same building, now that a car is no longer literally protruding from the façade, a not particularly sympathetic change made by Hard Rock. It's a pleasure to see this building restored to historic appearance and in active use," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Restoration Hardware

234 Berkeley Street


WS Development

Project Team:

Copley Wolff Design Group
Gilbert and Becker
NER Construction Company
Preservation Technology Associates, Inc.
Soep Painting
Suffolk Construction

The Italian Renaissance palazzo-style building at 234 Berkeley Street was originally built as the New England Museum of Natural History. Designed in 1862 by William Gibbons Preston, this building was one of the very first to be constructed in the newly filled Back Bay. Preston made many architectural contributions to the city, including two nearby examples of Victorian architecture: the footbridge in the Public Garden and the First Corps of Cadets Armory at the corner of Arlington and Columbus. Sitting prominently in the center of a large, open lot, the stone and brick freestanding building features Corinthian pilasters, decorative railings, cornices, and other unique details. After the museum relocated and changed its name to the Museum of Science, the space was occupied by high-end specialty store Bonwit Teller until 1989, when Louis, Boston moved in and renovated the building's façade.

Since then, the building had fallen to disrepair. WS Development undertook the renovation to brilliantly return the building to its former grandeur, including complete restoration of the lost architectural elements that make it unique. The project involved delicate, careful repairs, extensive cleaning and re-pointing, replacing damaged materials, restoring and preserving surviving portions of the building, and protecting the building from future deterioration. The magnificent attention to detail during this rehabilitation makes the 234 Berkeley Street stand out as it once did among the other burgeoning developments in nineteenth-century Back Bay.

"It's a pleasure to recognize the preservation of one of the most fabulous and most prominent buildings in the Back Bay. For years the preservation community feared the long-term outcome here and now we have a restored masterpiece of which we can all be proud," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Vanessa Zeoli

951 Boylston Street


Boston Architectural College

Project Team:

Amigo Woodworking & Restoration
Arup Engineers
Back Bay Architectural Commission
Boston Architectural College
   Historic Preservation Students/
   Master in Design Studies
Coco Raynes Associates, Inc.
Commodore Builders
Cyr Sign and Banner Co. Inc.
Institute for Human-Centered Design
Lighting Research Center
Michael Fitzpatrick – Furniture Maker
MS Signs, Inc.
Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay
Shaun Bullens Furniture Design
Slot B Design

The former District 16 Police Station at 951 Boylston Street was designed in the Richardson Romanesque style in 1886 by Boston City Architect Arthur H. Vinal. The first combined police and fire station in Boston, it was originally designed to include prison holding cells, office space, and stables. In 1976, Graham Gund re-adapted the space with extensive renovations for the Institute for Contemporary Art, which inhabited the building through 2007. These renovations included covering structural details, removing virtually all of the interior details of the original police station, and redesigning the entire interior.

In 2012, the Boston Architectural College completed their rehabilitation of the building, which they adapted into a state-of-the-art educational facility for teaching, exhibition, and fostering community among the students, faculty, and public. Students in the Historic Preservation program were able to get hands-on experience renovating the building. Through their work, they uncovered brick walls, roof rafters in the top floor, and a terracotta oven mantle. The aspects of the building's interior that were able to be saved were completely restored, while the unsalvageable details were closely replicated. A new, intricate sign that features scalloped, separately-lit letters was approved by the Back Bay Historical Commission. Extensive updates to the exterior are modern without detracting from the building's history, allowing various stages of architectural design to co-exist harmoniously. The building was also successfully linked with the BAC's facility on Newbury Street.

"Through several uses District 16 has stood the test of time, ever adaptable but always a remarkable gem of a building of a distinctive character. Now beautifully restored by our colleagues at the BAC, District 16 is ready for future generations," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of McGinley Kalsow & Associates

The Men’s Comfort Station/
Earl of Sandwich


Boston Parks & Recreation Department
Planet Hollywood International

Project Team:

Aniceto, Inc.
Ashling, Inc.
Crocker Architectural Sheet Metal Co., Inc.
Halvorson Design Partnership
Jack Moriarty Consultants
M.J. Scully & Co.
Maltby & Co.
McGinley Kalsow & Associates, Inc.
Nardone Electric Corp.
Ripman Lighting Consultants
Structures North Consulting Engineers, Inc.

Originally constructed in the 1920's as a public restroom, the Men's Comfort Station is one of nine historic structures located on Boston Common. Also referred to as "The Pink Panther" due to its pinkish hue, the octagonal, 660-square-foot edifice is made of cast stone with a glazed copper roof. Before Earl of Sandwich claimed residence as a sandwich shop named, aptly, after the inventor of the sandwich himself, the Men's Comfort Station had been vacant since the 1970's. The transformation of the derelict building was daunting and required a full renovation of both the interior and exterior. Additionally, all renovations had to adhere to the standards of the Boston Parks and Recreation Department as well as the Boston Landmarks Commission.

The oldest city park in the nation and the most prominent public space in the city, the Common is a mainstay for Boston residents and an iconic stop for tourists which made this highly visible, dilapidated building in the Common a source of embarrassment and risk. The Earl of Sandwich Company now proudly resides in a restored structure with a new purpose: making customers out of the throngs of Boston Common visitors. It brings new life to this part of the park and through careful design is fully accessible to all.

"The transformation of this building from a decrepit, old restroom to a feature of the Common is nothing short of remarkable. This is a real example of turning a lemon into lemonade and has brought new energy and destination to the Common," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of MassDOT

Brighton Milestone Marker #6


Massachusetts Department of Transportation

Project Team:

Richard Alexander
Allston/Brighton Community
   Development Corporation
Allston/Brighton Historical Society
Allston Village Main Streets
Mark Ciommo, Councilman, District 9
City of Boston Mayor’s Office
   of Neighborhood Services
City of Boston Police Department
City of Boston Public Works Department
Daedalus, Inc.
Kevin Honan, State Representative,
Massachusetts Department of Transportation,
   District 6 Office

Brighton's Milestone Marker #6 is a colonial-era landmark that was erected in 1729 as one of forty known "Upper" Boston Post Road markers. The 3-foot-tall vertical slate slab bears the inscription, "Boston 6 miles 1729 P.D." The initials "P.D." stand for Judge Paul Dudley, who was instrumental in incorporating Brighton, Roxbury and Brookline into the "Upper" Boston Post Road. Judge Dudley became Chief Justice of the Province of Massachusetts Bay in 1745. Mile Marker #6 is located on Harvard Ave in Brighton, where it was struck by a commercial vehicle in July of 2011. The impact shattered part of the marker, causing the top half to topple over onto the sidewalk. According to Chapter 621 of the Acts of 1960, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), not the City of Boston, is authorized "to maintain and restore the milestone markers on the Old Boston Post Road," should such repairs be needed.

To repair and clean the marker, completing the restoration, Daedalus, Inc. worked in cooperation with conservation specialists in the MassDOT Cultural Resources Unit. Ornamental steel bollards were also installed at the curb line for protection. Once completed, the marker was excavated and moved further back from the curb to prevent Harvard Ave's bustling traffic from causing another destructive accident.

"The Brighton Mile Marker project is not only an example of a small object raising awareness of history and historic preservation, but a trigger for larger work. As a result of this project MassDOT is undertaking an inventory of mile markers throughout the state and developing a preservation program for them," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Church of the Covenant

Dorcas Window Restoration
at Church of the Covenant


Church of the Covenant

Project Team:

Menders, Torrey, & Spencer, Inc.
Serpentino Stained Glass Studio

On November 10th, 2011, thieves broke into the sanctuary of the Church of the Covenant, a National Historic Landmark. The thieves smashed the Dorcas window, one of forty-two Tiffany windows in the church and named for the biblical woman depicted in the glass. The priceless, museum-quality window exemplified the revolutionary, multi-layered technique of Louis Comfort Tiffany, who created paintings-in-glass by combining up to five layers of glass. The window, designed by Frederick Wilson, was first installed in 1894-1896, and completes the unified decoration of the collective Tiffany's windows.

The Dorcas window was badly damaged and required extensive restoration and reproduction efforts. In order to accomplish this feat, Roberto Rosa of Serpentino's Stained Glass Studio first delicately pieced together any salvageable bits of glass. Because replacement of Tiffany's drapery glass could not be found at Tiffany's Neustadt Collection of archived glass, Rosa experimented with different techniques, and with help from other experts, was able to replicate the look of the original glass. After a long, collaborative process, on November 28th, 2012, the Dorcas window was reinstalled with a great celebration, only a little over a year after it was damaged.

"The preservation of the window at the Church of the Covenant is a miraculous feat, demonstrating skill, creativity, and perseverance on a remarkable scale. Perhaps if Roberto Rosa was around they would have even been able to put Humpty Dumpty together again," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Kat Nania / Shepley Bulfinch

Harvard Medical School Gordon Hall Window Restoration


Harvard University

Project Team:

Bard Rao and Athanas Consulting Engineers
Building Conservation Associates, Inc.
Hughes Associates
Shawmut Construction
Shepley Bulfinch

The Harvard Medical School Quadrangle was designed by Shepley Rutan and Coolidge of Boston in 1904. The buildings feature marble facades, neo-classical proportions, and symmetrical multi-story windows. Arguably the most defining building of the Quadrangle, Gordon Hall had suffered window deterioration for many years due to natural weathering and deferred maintenance. In addition to being unsightly in their weakened form, the windows did little to protect the interior of the building from the destructive weather.

Although the aesthetic implications of the restoration were obvious, the project was also designed with improved energy efficiency and reduced air infiltration in mind. The scope of the renovation involved restoring or replacing 100 windows of six different types, ranging in scale and variety from multi-story, to double-hung sash, to decorative gridded Roman Senate windows, or "Union Jacks." Many frames and sashes were rebuilt, and later modifications removed to retain the building's uniformity. New paint was created in the original historic color by utilizing ultraviolet light microscopy. With windows beautifully restored, Gordon Hall now stands proudly among the other buildings in the Quadrangle.

"Proper window restoration plays a major role in preservation. Poor choices can dramatically alter the look of an historic building. We are pleased to recognize a project that saw value in doing the right thing for the building and the city," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of John Horner Photography

Hayden Building


Historic Boston, Incorporated

Project Team:

Building Envelope Technologies
C.S.T.I. Acoustics
Conservation Services Group
CSI Engineering, LLC
CUBE Design + Research
ESS Group, Inc.
L.A. Fuess Partners, Inc.
MacCrostie Historic Advisors LLC
Marc Truant & Associates
R.W. Sullivan Engineering

The Hayden Building was constructed in 1875 by acclaimed American architect Henry Hobson Richardson who designed it for the estate of his father-in-law, John C. Hayden. Because Richardson was an influential architect whose work permeated generations of architects to follow, this iconic building style is known as Richardsonian Romanesque. Typical of Richardson, the façade is comprised of coveted Longmeadow sandstone. The Hayden Building has been a tailor shop, a dental office, a jeweler's, an army/navy store, a record shop, and, during the heyday of the Combat Zone, an adult theater. The narrow five-story brownstone is on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated as a City of Boston Landmark.

After a debilitating fire ravaged the building, Historic Boston, Inc. purchased it, along with several others on the same block, in 1993. The act of restoring those buildings was part of the catalyst for improvement in the district, which is now one of Boston's most enjoyed areas. By 2010, the changes in the neighborhood allowed Historic Boston, Inc. to sell the adjacent properties and focus on developing the Hayden Building's long-vacant upper stories into apartments. CUBE Design + Research, a young, local architecture firm, was chosen to design the project. The renovations to the building focused on complementing the essence of the existing building while modernizing its function. CUBE thoroughly analyzed Richardson's other architectural works in order to create a design that both highlighted the building's past as well as secured its future.

"The Hayden project is a perfect example of the patience and foresight often required in preservation. We are so pleased to be able to honor our colleagues at Historic Boston, Inc. for taking on and finally completing this long project. Its success demonstrates not only how preservation triggers neighborhood improvement but how we must be persistent in our preservation goals," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Rick Mandelkorn Photography

Hostelling International Boston


American Youth Hostels – Boston Hostel, Inc.

Project Team:

Bergmeyer Associates
Cleary Advisors
Eastern Bank
GLC Development Resources
KV Associates
McPhail Associates
Nitsch Engineering
Nixon Peabody LLC
O'Neill & Associates
RDK Engineers
Richard Mandelkorn Photography
Souza True
Suffolk Construction
Stegman Associates
Tremont Preservation Services

The historic "Dill Building," located at 19 Stuart Street, is a 62,000 square foot, six-story building constructed in 1886. A contributing structure to Boston's Theater District, the wood and masonry structure has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980. Before Hostelling International purchased the structure, previous tenants included the American Red Cross, M&M Realty Trust, Smith Barney, and Citibank.

The thoughtful, energy-efficient restoration of this building, developed by American Youth Hostels, has turned it into a thriving hostel that fosters a welcoming community. Prior to being renovated, the Dill Building was only partially occupied and not up to modern building code; now there are 100 guestrooms that can sleep nearly 500 visitors, and the entire building is being utilized. The scope of the project included the complete replacement of all systems, walls, flooring, windows, fixtures, and stairways. The structure provides a safe, 24-hour refuge for over 40,000 of Boston's guests annually. The renovated building now constitutes the United States' first LEED-certified hostel, setting a strong precedent for the future of Boston's eco-conscious construction and restoration and demonstrating that historic preservation and energy efficiency go hand-in-hand.

"Hostelling International turned a largely ignored, fairly non-descript building into a center of energy and life in this neighborhood. Their project builds appreciation and recognition for the value historic buildings bring to our cities and to a young generation of Boston visitors," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Andrew Caulfield

Second Brazer Building


Fidelity Investments

Project Team:

Building Envelope Technologies, Inc.
NER Construction Management
Rizvi Architects
Turner Construction
Weidlinger Associates

The Second Brazer Building, a City of Boston and a National Historic Landmark located at 27 State Street, was designed in 1896-99 by renowned architect Cass Gilbert. It is his first project on the East Coast, and at eleven stories, was the tallest of his designs. It is also one of Boston's earliest steel-framed buildings and features decorative terra cotta on the upper floors, two-story limestone on the lower floors, and a granite base. Many ornate details adorn the building such as intricate cornices that feature statues of eagles, wreathes, and other elaborate designs. Over time, the building's façade and structure experienced weathering and disrepair.

The extensive renovations to this intricate building began in 2009 by Fidelity Investments and included the replacement of large sections of deteriorated terra cotta and limestone, the complete reconstruction of the northeast corner of the building, replacement of deteriorated windows, refurbishment of the cast-iron Chineaux elements as well as other prominent details and extensive, delicate cleaning and re-pointing. Due to its location in a prominently historic neighborhood that sees many visitors, the maintenance of this building is of utmost importance to the cultural fabric of Boston. Through years of hard, thoughtful work, the Second Brazer Building has been restored to its original grandeur.

"The Second Brazer Building stands among a cluster of prominent historic buildings, marking an important corner of the city. Its intricate restoration demonstrates the highest form of historic preservation, done by the most skilled experts in the field," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Anton Grassl/ESTO

Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital


Partners Healthcare Real Estate and Facilities

Project Team:

AKF Lighting Group
Boston Art
Copley Wolff Design Group
Epsilon Associates, Inc.
Gamble Design LLC
Goulston & Storrs
Haley & Aldrich, Inc.
Institute for Human Centered Design
McNamara/Salvia, Inc.
Perkins + Will
Thompson Consultants, Inc.
Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc.
Vine Associates of GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.
Walsh Brothers Incorporated

The new Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, located at Parcel 6, has been one of the more difficult sites to develop in the Charlestown Navy Yard. This northeast end of the Navy Yard, often referred to as "Yard's End" had a long life as part of the military complex dating back to 1800 when the navy bought this pastureland for ship repair, storage, and as an arsenal. Over the years, and through expansion by filing, the area had multiple uses: timber receiving dock, wharfs and dry docks, and naval hospital for injured sailors. When the Boston Redevelopment Authority acquired the property, hard-to-find century-old live and white oak found on the site were donated to the Mystic Seaport preservation shipyard to repair historic ships. A considerable amount of granite block found on site incorporated into the site landscaping of the new Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

Spaulding undertook a challenging site with this project: hazardous waste cleanup, state open-space requirements due to its harbor adjacency, harborwalk issues, and more. Spaulding's LEED-certified building, developed by Partners Healthcare Real Estate and Facilities, incorporates cutting-edge energy efficiency and sustainability technologies in a design that integrates well with the historic waterfront site. To meet the fifty percent publicly accessible open space requirement, Spaulding developed outdoor space to cater to both patient and public populations with a therapy garden and active sports plaza for patients and dining and environmental plazas that all can enjoy.

"New construction in historic neighborhoods is particularly challenging, and a project on this Navy Yard site had stymied developers and the BRA for decades. Spaulding and Partners have developed a project that effectively respects the historic site while bringing a new use for their patients and the public to this beautiful, yet previously underused harbor-front site," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Photo courtesy of Egan Church Restorations

St. Joseph – St. Lazarus Church


Archdiocese of Boston

Project Team:

Egan Church Restorations
Milan Restorations

Located in the historic Orient Heights district of East Boston, St. Lazarus Church- now called St. Joseph St. Lazarus Church- was erected in 1922 for a congregation of primarily Italian immigrants. In December of 2011, the Boston Preservation Priorities Report named it a high priority for restoration after extensive water damage and overall deterioration had dashed community hopes that the building would ever be restored to its former luster. The community bemoaned its deterioration and disrepair, but rather than give up they opted to tackle the problem. Parishioners recognized the church where many have worshipped their entire lives as a symbol of the heritage of the neighborhood.

The restoration of the church is testament to the resolve of the parish community and of the importance religious properties hold to neighborhoods. Restoring St. Joseph St. Lazarus was integral to the spirit and personality of the community, and community members rallied financially around its preservation. Complete restoration of the church included repairs to the roof and restoring plaster, flooring, and the religious art of the church. Without ever interrupting weekend religious services the interior was successfully fully restored – from sacred paintings to frescoes and statues to the pews. The restoration of this historic church is incredibly meaningful for the current population of Orient Heights, and undoubtedly will be for generations to come.

"It is incredibly meaningful when a community rallies to save its own historic resources, even when the odds for success seem small. We should all be inspired by the resolve which led a small group to complete this monumental and beautifully successful project," said Greg Galer, Executive Director of the Boston Preservation Alliance.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino

Mayor Thomas M. Menino

Codman Award for Lifetime Achievement

The Boston Preservation Alliance is proud to present the 2013 Codman Award for Lifetime Achievement to Mayor Thomas M. Menino. As an advocate for historic preservation, Menino's influence on Boston's historic resources is immeasurable. From his dedication to projects like the Main Street program in Roslindale Village, the revitalization of historic theaters such as Emerson's Paramount Theatre, and the protection of historic landmarks such as the Allen House, his influence can be seen across the city. Mayor Menino has blocked bulldozers, found funding for preservation projects, and had the courage to reject projects that destroy historic fabric. Author Carter Wilkie writes, "A large part of Menino's legacy will be the demolitions Boston didn't see." The city of Boston retains its unique, inspiring character in large part because of the efforts of Thomas Menino. The Alliance is honored to present Mayor Thomas M. Menino with our highest recognition.