Preservation Achievement Awards

2007 Awards

128 Beacon view project

128 Beacon Street

Back Bay

Gate of Heaven Church view project

Gate of Heaven Church, South Boston

609 East Fourth Street

Midway Studios view project

Midway Studios, Fort Point Channel

15 Channel Center Street

Art Block view project

ArtBlock, South End

725-735 Harrison Avenue

North Bennet Street School Preservation Carpenty Program view project

North Bennet Street School Preservation Carpentry Program

Codman Award For Lifetime Achievement view project

Codman Award for Lifetime Achievement: Paul McGinley

Photo courtesy of The Beal Companies

128 Beacon Street

Back Bay

Owner:

Beal Companies

Architect:

CBT

Associated Architects:

Del Mitchell Architects

Contractor:

Perini and Sea-Dar Construction

Three side-by-side buildings, 128 Beacon Street was conceived and designed as French Academic style single-family homes and carriage houses by architect George Snell in 1861. In the 1940's, Emerson College acquired the properties for their School of Communications, and in 2000, Robert and Bruce Beal purchased the classroom buildings from Emerson. With the guidance, support and insight of the Back Bay Architectural Commission, Rockwood Capital, the CBT Architects design team and construction artisans at Perini/SeaDar, the buildings' original exterior architectural significance and interior historic details were reincarnated and re-invigorated to provide eleven comfortable new condominium residences in the Back Bay.

Photo courtesy of McGinley Kalsow & Associates, Inc

Gate of Heaven Church, South Boston

609 East Fourth Street

Owner:

The Archdiocese of Boston, Rev. Robert E. Casey, Pastor, Dave Sullivan, Project Manager

Architect:

McGinley Kalsow & Associates, Inc

Project Team:

Structures North, Inc,
Ripman Lighting Consultants,
Johnson Engineering & Design,
Consigli Construction, Inc.,
Murphy Specialty, Inc.,
Gilbert & Becker Inc.,
Lyn Hovey Studios,
Sara Chase Consultants,
Historic Boston Inc.

The Gate of Heaven Church, completed in 1912, was constructed in the 18th century Gothic style of architecture, of buff Roman brick, with brownstone trimmings.

By 2004, the church had fallen into a state of considerable disrepair. Parishioners, alumni and businesses in South Boston pledged three million dollars within four months and in June of 2005, a $6 million restoration and repair began. It involved cleaning, pointing and selective rebuilding of masonry, selective replacing of slates and replacement of all copper flashings, gutters and downspouts; restoration of stained glass windows; repair and painting of all exterior wood, structural repair and lighting of the copper spire, new electrical and mechanical systems; and repainting to the original 1912 colors.

Photo courtesy of
Finegold Alexander + Associates Inc
Credit: Chris Johnson

Midway Studios, Fort Point Channel

15 Channel Center Street

Owner:

Midway Studios Associates, LLC

Developer:

Fort Point Development Collaborative, a joint venture of Keen Development Corporation and Fort Point Cultural Coalition, Inc.

Architect:

Spalding Touglas Architects, Inc.

Associated Architect:

Finegold Alexander + Associates

Contractor:

CWC Builders, Inc.

Midway Studios, three adjacent early twentieth-century warehouse buildings located in New England's largest arts community, is a mixed-use development that houses 89 artist live/work studios on its upper floors and arts-related commercial spaces at street level. The historic restoration respects the unique and intimate character of Fort Point's distinctive brick-and-beam architecture while renovating the buildings to accommodate the needs of today's artists. For Fort Point Cultural Coalition, Midway Studios is a huge step towards its goal of creating 300 permanent studios in Fort Point. One of Keen Development's last projects, Midway Studios embodies developer Bob Kuehn's longstanding commitment to historic preservation, affordable housing, and the creation of permanent studios where artists can live and work. Bob Kuehn passed away in 2007.

Photo courtesy of New Atlantic Development

ArtBlock, South End

725-735 Harrison Avenue

Owner:

New Atlantic Develompent

Architect:

ICON Architecture, Inc.

ArtBlock, an 85,000 square foot mixed-use community-of-the-arts, includes two newly constructed five story buildings which frame the historic Joshua Bates Art Center. The project includes a mix of 28 market rate townhomes and lofts, 26 affordable artist live/work lofts, a new exhibition gallery, and enclosed parking. The former Joshua Bates School will continue to be used as artist work-only studios, and has been refurbished with important accessibility and life safety improvements. ArtBlock represents the first disposition of publicly owned land in Mayor Menino's Artist Space Initiative, an effort designed to preserve the ability of individual artists to remain in the city despite skyrocketing real estate values. Developed by New Atlantic Development in response to an RFP by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the project is funded by the BRA, the City's Department of Neighborhood Development, syndication of Historic Tax Credits on the Bates Arts Center, and construction loans from Wainwright Bank, the Property Casualty Initiative, and Bank of America. The 21 million dollar project was completed in fall of 2006.

Photo courtesy of North Bennet Street School

North Bennet Street School Preservation Carpentry Program

with Special Acknowledgement
of Robert Adam, Program Director

The Preservation Carpentry Program at North Bennet Street School was started in 1986 in response to the lack of craftsmen available who knew how to accurately make repairs to historic structures. Since its inception, the program has produced over 200 highly skilled carpenters trained in the precise methods used to build pre- twentieth century buildings. The program curriculum involves the students with actual preservation projects for buildings owned by public agencies and non profit institutions, including the historic Shirley Eustis House in Roxbury, the Pierce House in Dorchester, Spring House in Jamaica Plain and the Hayden Building in downtown Boston. North Bennet Street School, established in 1885 in Boston's North End, is a conservatory of craft with training programs in cabinet making, jewelry making, violin making, bookbinding, piano technology and locksmithing, in addition to preservation carpentry. The full time programs range in length from one to three years, and short term workshops are offered in the evenings and on weekends for many of the crafts.

Paul McGinley

Paul McGinley,
McGinley Kalsow & Associates

Codman Award for Lifetime Achievement

Paul McGinley has a distinguished 40-year career of planning and preserving historic buildings, bridges and districts in the Boston area and across the country.

He planned and administered the preservation and development of Newburyport's Market Square Downtown Waterfront Project in the 1970's, a pioneering preservation effort that established a national model for the revitalization of downtowns throughout the country.

He developed creative plans for the preservation of historic districts and areas including the Miami Beach Art Deco District; South Norwalk and New London, Connecticut; Portland, Maine; Newport, Rhode Island; and Revere Beach; all award winners.

The sensitive renovation of historic bridges, railroad structures and parkways is of keen interest to Paul, a civil engineer. He serves as the historic bridge consultant to the Alaska Railroad and developed concept plans to rehabilitate and reuse the historic Northern Avenue Bridge over Boston's Fort Point Channel.

Currently he is working on the restoration of the Esplanade along the Charles River.

He lives in a 17th century house in Ipswich, which he and his wife have restored over the past 40 years. He enjoys taking his six grandchildren for rides in his 1925 Model T touring car.