Preservation Achievement Awards

2003 Awards

131 Dartmouth Street view project

131 Dartmouth Street

Back Bay/South End

Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson college view project

Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson College

Theatre District

Paige Academy view project

Paige Academy

Roxbury

Lenox Hotel view project

Lenox Hotel

Back Bay

Walter Baker Lofts view project

Walter Baker Lofts

Dorchester

Ritz-Carlton Hotel view project

Ritz-Carlton Hotel

Back Bay

Saint Vincent de Paul view project

Saint Vincent de Paul

South Boston

The Bker Factory Shaw's Supermarket view project

The Baker Factory
Shaw's Supermarket

Dorchester

 

Photo courtesy of Arrowstreet, Inc.

131 Dartmouth Street

Bay Bay/South End

Owner/Developer:

Heritage Property Investment Trust, Inc.

Architect:

Arrowstreet Inc.

This 365,000 square foot, 11 story office building includes 6,000 square feet of street level retail space. It negotiates its location within a historic neighborhood at the juncture of the Back Bay and the South End. On the lower levels, the historic character of the typical South End low rise bow-fronted brick buildings is reflected. Upper stories are set back in tiers and vary in materials to reduce the bulk of the building, while referencing traditional masonry of the Back Bay.

Photo courtesy of Emerson College

The Cutler Majestic Theater
at Emerson College

Theatre District

Owner/Developer:

Emerson College

Architect:

Elkus Manfredi Architects, Ltd.

Built in 1903 and converted to a movie theater in 1956, this theatre closed in 1977. It was bought by Emerson College in 1983. Phase I of the Renovation and Restoration Project involved exterior restoration of the terra cotta, marquee, stained glass and electric lighting on the façade. It also included interior renovations necessary for theatrical performances. Phase II focused on restoration of the stunning interior detailing to its original Beaux Arts grandeur while upgrading the technology of the theatre to modern standards.

Photo courtesy of Gail Sullivan Associates, Inc.

Paige Academy

Roxbury

Owner/Developer:

Joe Cook & Angela Paige Cook

Designer:

Gail Sullivan Associates, Inc.

Built in 1859, this 3-story Italianate double house is a contributing property to the Roxbury Highlands Historic District. A school and childcare center occupied half of the building. New connections were made between the two halves of the building; the basement was rehabilitated for classroom use; the existing kitchen was renovated; and additions were designed to blend with the house's historic character. All of these changes have maintained the house's extraordinary architectural detail, including marble fireplaces, door and window moldings, plaster moldings, wood floors and an octagonal cupola at the roof.

Photo courtesy of CBI Consulting, Inc.

Lenox Hotel

Back Bay

Owner/Developer:

Saunders Hotel Group

Architect:

CBI Consulting, Inc.

Contractor:

NER Construction Management, Inc.

Lighting:

Schweppe Lighting Design, Inc.

Because the original 1900 façade of the Lenox Hotel could not be salvaged due to extensive deterioration of the masonry and structural steel, it was reconstructed to match the original profile of the building and preserve its architectural character. New steel, brick, and trim materials were used. Historic details and ornamentation were replaced, including the roof cornice and decorative elements that were recreated using original molds. New lighting was installed to highlight the building exterior. The Hotel also employed methods of green design, energy efficiency and resource conservation.

Photo courtesy of Keen Development Corporation

Walter Baker Lofts

Dorchester

Owner:

Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management

Developer:

Keen Development Corporation

Project Sponsor:

Historic Massachusetts, Inc.

Sponsoring Organization:

The Architectural Team, Inc.

The Walter Baker Chocolate Factory Administration Building in Dorchester's Lower Mills was built in 1919 and designed by George F. Shepard. The company relocated in 1965, leaving the building empty except for its brief use as a social services office in the 1980s. The Georgian Revival-style building was converted into loft apartments, community and gallery spaces. Residential units incorporate existing corridors and walls; three-story central atrium became as gallery space, where the building's original marble staircase and skylight have been maintained; replica mahogany windows have been installed; and plaster moldings have been restored or recreated.

Photo courtesy of CBT

Ritz-Carlton Hotel

Back Bay

Owner/Developer:

Millenium Partners

Architect:

Childs, Bertman, Tseckares

Interior Design:

Frank Nicholson, Inc.

Construction Manager:

Bovis Lend-Lease

The Ritz-Carlton was originally completed in May of 1927. It is significant as an example of work by the architecture firm Strickland, Blodget and Law. The exterior façade underwent extensive restoration to return it to its original condition. Improvements were also made to the interior to update the life safety system, telecommunications connections, architectural details and furnishings.

Photo courtesy of McGinley Hart & Associates, LLP

Saint Vincent de Paul

South Boston

Owner/Developer:

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston

Architect:

McGinley Hart & Associates, LLP

Contractor:

Murphy Specialty, Inc.

The "First Church of Saint Vincent" was built in 1825 in the Fort Hill section of Boston. In 1872, during reconstruction of the Fort Hill area, it was dismantled and the materials were used to construct the new Church in South Boston by Patrick C. Keeley in 1872-1874. In 2002, restoration began and included the replacement of gutters, flashing, downspouts with copper matching the original profile; the replacement of roofs with slate (for lower) and with asphalt shingles (for upper); the cleaning and repointing of masonry; repair of soffits, cornices and window frames; replication of eighteen circular windows and the re-leading of stained glass.

The Baker Factory
Shaw's Supermarket

Dorchester

Owner:

Shaw's Supermarkets, Inc.

Developer:

Trinity Neponset Partners

Architect:

Bergmeyer Associates, Inc.

The Baker Warehouse at 4 River Street was built in 1947 for Walter Baker & Co., which was a division of General Foods. It is a significant example of the modern industrial design of Walter Kidde Constructors, Inc. The development team first met with members of the Lower Mills Community in March 1998 to discuss redevelopment of the vacant building. The project improved shopping opportunities for residents of Dorchester Lower Mills, sensitively restored the building, enhanced pedestrian and vehicular safety, and improved the streetscape.